BAKERSFIELD, Calif., Thursday morning, at approximately 1:30 a.m., The Kern County Fire Department along with the Bakersfield Fire Department responded to reports of a house on fire. Upon arrival, firefighters encountered a single story house filled with smoke down to the floor. Firefighters entered the home and located the seat of the fire: A smoldering mattress and box spring that had been on fire and partiality extinguished prior to the arrival of fire crews. Firefighters removed the smoldering materials from the house and ensured any remaining fire was completely extinguished.
This incident is a real world example of the benefits of following two common fire safety tips. First, working smoke detectors led to quick action by the home owners who were alerted to the fire while sleeping. Second, closing doors to bedrooms before sleeping slows the spread of flames and smoke through the home, if a fire occurs. Note how the fire room sustained moderate damage while just outside the door, in the hallway and adjacent rooms, the damage sustained from smoke was minimal.
There were no injuries to fire personnel or civilians.