BAKERSFIELD, Calif., Just before 2:30 PM on Sunday January 21, 2024, the Kern County Fire Department received a report of smoke coming from a residence. An off duty Kern County Sheriff's Deputy reported that there was smoke and fire inside the residence. Kern County and Bakersfield City Firefighters responded to the residence and found smoke coming from the vents and attic of the home. The Firefighters did not know if anyone was home and forced entry into the home. Upon entry, Kern County Firefighters found smoke and fire inside the home and immediately began to extinguish the fire and search for possible occupants. Firefighters quickly determined that there were no occupants inside the home. As additional Firefighters arrived on scene, crews checked to make sure the fire was not spreading through the attic. The fire was confined to the laundry room and hallway, but the rest of the home had extensive heat and smoke damage. There were no injuries to the public or Firefighters.
The Kern County Fire Department reminds you to turn off your clothes dryer and other heating appliances before leaving your home.