Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

 

To: All Media, Fire Personnel

Contact: Engineer Andrew Freeborn,  Public Information Officer, (661) 330-0133

Subject: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

January 31, 2020

Shortly before 5:30 am this morning firefighters from the Kern County Fire Department’s station 41 were dispatched for a medical aid call. After dispatch our Emergency Communication Center received updated information that three patients at the location were feeling ill. The call was upgraded to include additional firefighters and a second ambulance. Emergency dispatchers directed all occupants of the home to move outside to fresh air while waiting for firefighters to arrive. Upon arrival firefighters found one adult and two minors with signs and symptoms consistent with Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Firefighters checked the house with a 4-gas monitor and confirmed the presence of Carbon Monoxide in the home. PG&E was requested to assist. All three patients were transported by Hall ambulance for suspected Carbon Monoxide poisoning. The house did not have a Carbon Monoxide alarm installed to alert occupants. We would like to remind our community of the importance of installing and regularly testing Carbon Monoxide alarms in the home. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can be created from household appliances, such as water heaters, wall heaters, ovens, gas ranges, and open fires. Additionally, never leave a vehicle or generator running in an enclosed space. Carbon Monoxide poisoning Signs and Symptoms can include: -Dizziness -Headache -Fatigue -Nausea -Confusion -Shortness of Breath -Unconsciousness If experiencing a combination of these and your Carbon Monoxide alarm sounds move outside to fresh air and call 9-1-1.
Text Size